Rapid and respectful response to individuals and families in crisis
24-hour response by phone, toll free:
From a cell phone in Kennebec or Somerset county call 621-2552
Mailing Address: PO Box 558, Augusta ME 04332
Crisis & Counseling Centers is the sole provider of crisis services to residents of Kennebec and Somerset counties. Services are provided by a team of professionally trained staff able to assist individuals at any time of the day or night.
Who Uses Crisis Services?
- Anyone who feels they are in crisis
- Children, teens and adults
Some of the Reasons People Call Us:
- Thoughts of suicide or self-injury
- Feelings of depression and hopelessness
- Thoughts of hurting someone else
- Feeling out of control
- Use of substances is making life a struggle
- Feeling overwhelmed by a recent tragedy or loss
- Bizarre behaviors or beliefs.
How Do I Ask For Help?
Call the toll-free hotline, 1-888-568-1112. We can come to your home or you can walk into our Augusta or Skowhegan office at anytime, day or night (it is best to call first, if you can).
What Happens When I Call?
- A crisis worker will ask to meet with you in person, unless a meeting is not in your best interest.
- We prefer to meet with you where you feel most comfortable. This can be at your home or some other place in the community, or in one of our offices. If you have medical issues that need to be addressed, we will see you at your local emergency room.
- A crisis worker will talk with you to thoroughly understand your situation and to determine the level of support you need.
How Much Does It Cost?
We are required to bill for our services. MaineCare, Medicare and private insurance will pay for many of our services. However, we will provide services to everyone, even if they don’t have a way to pay.
Department of Health and Human Services. A United Way Agency.
- Crisis OutReach - These services are available to individuals and families who have received crisis support through Crisis & Counseling Centers. Services available through OutReach include additional information, referrals and direct linkage to other services.
- Crisis Stabilization Units - The CSUs are available for the short-term stabilization of mental health crises. Our adult facilities are located in Skowhegan, Waterville and Augusta. The children’s CSU is located in Winslow. Referrals for admissions are accepted 24 hours a day through the crisis hotline, 1-888-568-1112.