"Luckily I met a woman from the G.E.A.R. Parent Network, and I was able to find comfort in the support group and help from the regional support coordinator. "
Empowering parents of children with behavioral health needs.
Are you concerned about your child's emotional well-being?
- Do you sometimes feel completely alone with the challenges presented to you by your child?
- Do you need to ask someone what to expect now that your child has been diagnosed with a disability?
- Do you often wish others could see past your child's behavioral problems and appreciate what a terrific person your child is?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above, then GEAR is here for you.
Through parent-to-parent sharing of experiences and knowledge, G.E.A.R. empowers parents of children with behavioral health needs to build on their family’s strengths and to advocate for their family’s needs. Free services available to parents & families include:
- support by phone
- monthly support groups
- workshops about public services available to your child, and on topics related to emotional and behavioral health
- oppotunities to network with other families
We are parents helping each other; we offer unconditional support – no blame, no shame and no judgment. We want you to know that you are not ALONE!
What is G.E.A.R Parent Network?
G.E.A.R. (Gaining Empowerment Allows Results) Parent Network is a program of Crisis & Counseling Centers. G.E.A.R. Parent Network provides an opportunity for parents of children with special needs to support each other and work together, family to family.
G.E.A.R. was started by parents of children with behavioral health needs, who recognized their need for support.
G.E.A.R. empowers parents of children with behavioral health needs by helping them build on the identified strengths in their families and by providing safe and supportive avenues for emotional support and problem solving.
Each of the G.E.A.R. Parent Network Regional Parent Support Coordinators and the Program Director personally understands the joys and challenges of caring for a child with special needs and is available by phone for further information or support.
For more information or assistance:
call the G.E.A.R. Parent Network toll free at 1-800-264-9224, or
to reach the GEAR Parent Representative in your area, refer to the G.E.A.R. Parent Network site